(PDF) NECO Syllabus For Building & Construction 2020/2021
In this article, we will be sharing the 2020/2021 NECO exam syllabus for building and construction. This article is specifically for all candidates who enrolled for the 2020/2021 NECO exam. Without much talk, let’s get to it!
NECO Syllabus For Building & Construction 2020/2021
Introduction to Building
- Definition of building
- Classification and types
- Introduction to National Building Codes. (Building regulations and Byelaw requirements
Building Construction and Construction Team
- Definition, purpose and procedures for building construction
- Parties in the construction team. (Client’s team, contractor’s team and statutory personnel.
- Function of the team members.
- Relationship of the parties
- Definition of safety, rules and regulation.
- Hazards in the workshop and construction site.
- Causes and method of accident prevention.
- Safety equipment and measures at construction site.
- First aid equipment, procedures and safety wears.
- Safety in working with dangerous equipment and materials (electricity, scaffolding, formwork, cement, roof, etc).
Basic tools, equipment and machines
- Identification and functions of basic.
- Tools and equipment.
- Care of tools and equipment.
Site clearing and levelling
- Operations involved in site clearing.
- Tools and equipment for site clearing and levelling.
- Basic site levelling operations
Site organization and layout
- Preliminary operations in building construction.
- Procedure for site layout.
- Location, boundary lines, hoarding, hutments and access road
- Setting out
- Methods of setting-out. (3:4:5 method, Builders’ square method).
- Tools and equipment for setting out
- Use of drawing tools and simple exercise on plane geometry in relation to building.
- Building drawing symbols
- Scales used in building and their application on site.
- Production drawings and interpretations (Plans, Elevations, sections and details).
- Special details (Detailing building elements including doors and windows schedule).
- Scaling (Enlargement, pictorial and perspectives.
- Definitions and use of Auto-CADD.
Excavation and earth-work
- Classifications, types and properties of soil.
- Definition and function of excavation
- Methods of excavations.
- Tools, equipment and plant used for excavation.
- Solution to excavation problems (Earthwork support, timbering battering and dewatering).
- Safety rules during excavations.
- Definition, purpose and functional requirement of foundation.
- Types of foundation.
- Factors that determine choice of foundation
- Types, functions and functional requirement of ground floor.
- Methods of construction ground floor.
- Definition of basement.
- Explain differences between building with basement and without basement.
- Problems relating basement in a building
- Definition and functions of upper floor
- Methods of construction concrete floors and timber upper floors
WAEC Syllabus For Building Construction – Concrete
- Definition and types of concrete.
- Materials for concrete.
- Definitions types, components and manufacture of cement. Properties and uses of cement including other alternatives to cement product e.g. Pozzolana, Pulverize fuel Ash (P.F.A.), Rice husk ash (R.H.A), etc
- Types and uses of aggregates (other aggregates such as palm kernel shell) and periwinkle, etc.
- Types and uses of reinforcements.
- Properties and characteristic of concrete
- Process of concrete production.
- Types of concrete tests.
WAEC Syllabus For Building Construction – Walls
- Definition, types and functions of walls
- Definition, types and properties of walling materials. (including locally sourced materials).
- Manufacturing processes of walling materials (clay, brick, blocks and concrete blocks).
- Sizes of blocks and bricks.
- Mortar mixes for brick. (vi) Methods of wall construction
- Timber wall construction.
- Definition and function of wall openings.
- Methods of constructing wall opening.
- Functions of lintels and arches
WAEC Syllabus For Building Construction – Doors and windows
- Definition, functions and types of doors and windows.
- Methods of mixing doors and window frames
WAEC Syllabus For Building Construction – Staircases
- Definition, classification, types and uses of stairs.
- Materials used for construction of stairs.
- Materials used for finishing staircases
Plumbing installations and drainage system
- Types of fitting in plumbing and sanitary works.
- Materials for plumbing works and fittings.
- Types of sanitary appliances.
- Soil and waste appliances.
- Installation of sanitary appliances.
- Terms used in drainage works.
- Principles and functional requirement of drainage system.
- Types of drainage system.
- Types of drainage materials (pipes and fittings).
- Methods of laying and testing drain lines.
- Description of septic and soakaway (inspection chamber, manhole, etc
Electrical installation and solar energy system
- Electrical symbols, installation terms and materials.
- Identification and uses of electrical wiring materials.
- Types of electrical wiring.
- Definition, functions and components of solar energy systems
WAEC Syllabus For Building Construction – Roofs
- Definition, purpose and types of roof.
- Functional requirements of roof.
- Materials used for roofs.
- Roof covering materials.
- Protection of roof from wind, rain, lightening, etc
WAEC Syllabus For Building Construction – Finishes
- Types and characteristics of floor finishes.
- Methods of laying floor finishes.
- Uses of floor finishes.
- Care and maintenance of floor finishes.
- Types and characteristics of wall finishes
- Plastering and rendering
- Types of rendering
- Methods of applying plastering and rendering mix.
- Types and function of ceiling finishes.
- Ceiling finishing materials.
WAEC Syllabus For Building Construction – External Work
- Types of fence, materials for fencing and construction of fence.
- Types of gate, fixing of gates and production of gate.
- Types and materials for construction of access roads.
- Construction of access road.
- Needs and materials for landscaping.
- Procedures for landscaping.
Types of Business Organization and Ways of Raising Capital
- Principles and Management of Business Organization in the building industry.
- Types of Business Organization in the Building Industry.
- Types and sources of Capital
- Book Keeping
- Book Keeping:
- Book Keeping in small scale businesses.
- Books of original entries.
- Definition and types of contract.
- Contract documents.
- Parties to a contract.
Why You Sleep Whenever You Pick Up Your Book & How To Stay Awake!
Dealing With Low Self-Esteem As A Student
Dealing With Academic Distractions
Leave a Reply