All About Food Science and Technology & Nigerian Universities Offering it
Food Science and Technology is gaining recognition in Nigeria day by day. Food Scientists and Technologists combine science and engineering knowledge to process, evaluate, preserve, package and distribute food; thus, improving food products for the general public. This course combines different aspects of Biology, Chemistry, Food and Nutrition, Engineering and Agricultural Science to improve quality food production and distribution.
Graduates of Food Science and technology can become research technicians, Quality Assurance Supervisors, Nutrition Specialists, Nutrition Consultants, Food Science and Technology Lecturers or Product Developers. They can apply their skills and knowledge in Hospitals, Bakeries, Confectionaries, Farms, food processing and preservation companies, Hotels, Restaurants, Beverage production companies and so on.
Currently, 36 Nigerian Universities are Offering Food Science and Technology and as time progresses, we believe this number will increase. When that happens, we would provide you with an updated list of Nigerian Universities Offering Food Science and Technology. In Nigerian Universities, Food Science and Technology is a department either under The Faculties of Engineering, Agriculture, Environmental Sciences or Natural Sciences. It is a 5 year bachelor’s degree programme. The full list of NUC approved schools offering the course in Nigeria is shared in this article.
- Nigerian Universities Offering Food Science and Technology
- Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State (ABSU)
- Bayero University, Kano, Kano State (BUK)
- Bells University of Technology, Ota, Ogun State (BUT)
- Bowen University, Iwo, Osun State (BUI)
- Crawford University, Igbesa, Lagos State (CU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State (EBSU)
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu, Enugu State (ESUT)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State (FUOYE)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Agriculture, Markurdi, Benue State (FUAM)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State (FUTA)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna, Niger State (FUTMINNA)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State (FUTO)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Niger State (IBBU)
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State (IUO)
- Imo state university, Owerri, Imo State (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji, Osun State (JABU)
- Kano State University of Science and Technology, Wudil, Kano State (KUST)
- Kogi State University, Anyigba, Kogi State (KSU)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin, Kwara State (KWASU)
- Madonna University, Okija, Anambra State (MUO)
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State (MOUAU)
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola, Adamawa State (MAUTECH)
- Mountain Top University, Makogi Oba, Ogun State (MTU)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State (UNIZIK)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State (OAU)
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt, Rivers State (RSUST)
- The Technical University, Ibadan, Oyo State (TECH-U)
- University of Calabar, Calabar, Cross River State (UNICAL)
- University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri, Borno State (UNIMAID)
- University of Mkar, Mkar, Benue State (UNIMKAR)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State (UNN)
- University of Uyo, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State (UNIUYO)
- Wesley University of Science and Technology, Ondo City, Ondo State (WUSTO)
Entry Requirements for Food Science and Technology
To study Food Science and Technology, the JAMB subject combination is English Language, Biology, Physics and Chemistry. The JAMB cut-off mark, however, depends on the Nigerian University you choose. Note that for Federal Universities, the JAMB cut off mark is 200 and for State and Private Universities, it is 180.
The O’ Level requirement is 5 credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
To apply for Nutrition and Dietetics as a Direct Entry Candidate, you are required to have a minimum of merit in OND or equivalent certification.
All of us @schoolmetro encourage aspirants to go ahead and study courses that they have passion for because, that way, they would be able to effectively contribute their quota to societal development.
Don’t just leave without checking other articles. Did you know you there are several new, yet amazing, courses freshly accredited by the NUC? We did a compilation of those courses and a brief summary about them. Check it out and thank me later!!!