UNICAL Courses, School Fees, and Cutoff Marks for 2023/2024
Do you wish to study at the Federal University of Calabar, UNICAL? Do you wish to know the UNICAL courses, cutoff marks, and school fees for the 2023/2024 Academic session?
Then you’re at the right place as this article provides a complete guide on the above-listed issues.
Having the right knowledge about the above-mentioned topic is important for any candidate seeking admission into the school.
University of Calabar, UNICAL is located in the heart of Calabar, Cross River State, South-South Nigeria. UNICAL has stood as a pillar of academic excellence since its birth.
Originating as a campus of the University of Nigeria until 1975, UNICAL was built by decree with the enduring Motto ‘Knowledge For Service’.
The University’s architecture, designed by John Elliot, conveys the institution’s dedication to enabling an environment conducive to mental or cognitive growth and service-oriented learning.
The University has various student bodies with a very large staff. The University admits students irrespective of cultural and religious background. There is also no age curb or restraint for applicants.
The University of Calabar courses cuts across bachelor’s and master’s degree program in different areas like engineering, sciences, social sciences, etc. The Institution provides accommodation for its students and a number of other facilities.
The University of Calabar fees are quite affordable like most Federal Universities and it is not up to a hundred thousand naira.
Furthermore, UNICAL is one of Nigeria’s second-generation federal Universities and currently has a graduate school, ten faculties, and three institutes.
Built to fulfill its Motto ‘Knowledge for service’, placing a great premium on learning and character, UNICAL is currently ranked as the 48th best University in Nigeria.
Courses Offered by UNICAL
Faculty of Agriculture
Agricultural economics and farm management
Agricultural science and education
Forestry and wildlife management
Food science and technology
Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy
Medicine and Surgery
Human Nutrition and Dietetics
Medical Laboratory/Technological Science
Faculty of Arts, Management and Social Science
Banking and Finance
English and literary studies
Environmental protection and Resource management
History and International Studies
Hospitality and Tourism management
Library and information science
Policy and administrative studies
Faculty of Science and Technology
Genetics and Biotechnology
Geography and environmental management
Geography and environmental science
Public Health Technology
Faculty of education
Agricultural science and education
Education and Biology
Education and Chemistry
Education and economics
Education and English
Education and French
Education and Geography
Education and History
Education and Mathematics
Education and physics
Education and political science
Education and Religious Studies
Education and social science
Technology and vocational education
Physics and Health Education
Faculty of Law
UNICAL Cutoff Marks
Before we proceed, let’s quickly take a glimpse of what cutoff means. Cutoff Mark is the minimum mark or points a candidate must get before he/she can be considered for admission.
For example; if UNICAL sets her JAMB cutoff Mark for 200, then any student who scores below 200 should immediately start thinking of other options.
It is, however, important to point out that the higher your mark, the higher your chances of getting admitted into UNICAL. Therefore candidates are advised to aim for higher scores if they’re to stand bigger chances of getting admitted.
UNICAL Departmental Cutoff Marks
The cutoff mark for each department has been displayed for you to make it easier for you to know your stand. The scores are obtained from the aggregate score comprising the JAMB score and the PUTME score.
How to Calculate UNICAL Aggregate Score
To calculate your UNICAL aggregate score, simply add your JAMB score and your Post UTME score together, and then divide the sum by two.
Let’s take an example:
Suppose you scored 250 in JAMB and 250 in the UNICAL Post UTME exam.
Adding these two scores together gives us 500.
Dividing this sum by 2 gives us a final aggregate score of 250.
It’s worth noting that each question in the UNICAL Post UTME exam carries 10 marks, and there are a total of 40 questions.
Therefore, the maximum score that can be obtained in the exam is 400 marks.
Calculating your UNICAL Post UTME aggregate score is essential for determining your chances of admission to the University of Calabar.
By following the steps outlined above, you can accurately calculate your Post UTME aggregate and increase your chances of admission.
Remember, it’s crucial to study hard and adequately prepare for your exams to achieve the best possible results.
Below are the courses offered at the University as well as their cutoff mark;
Banking and Finance 208
Business management 235
Computer Science 218.5
Education and English 220
Electronics and Computer Technology 208
English and Literary Studies 240
Genetics and Biotechnology 210
History and International Studies 215
Human Kinetics 190
Medical Lab Science 254
Medicine and Surgery 291
Nursing science 215
Political science 245
Public administration 225
Theatre and Media Studies 270
Computer Science 212
Policy and administrative 166.5
Human Anatomy 212
Education and Biology 188
Adult education 138
Education and Maths 137
Education and Political Science 197
Tourism studies 188
UNICAL Admission Requirement for 2023/2024 For UTME AND Direct Entry Students:
Below are the things you need and significant requirements you must meet to gain admission or study at UNICAL;
1) Before you are eligible to study at UNICAL, you need to have at least five (5) credit passes in your O-level result (WAEC, NECO, NABTEB) including English and mathematics, not more than one (1) sitting.
2) Select the correct JAMB subject combination for your chosen courses.
3) You must also register and write the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and score at least 140 to be eligible for the UNICAL Post UTME and admission screening exercise.
4) Your first choice of institution must be the University of Calabar (UNICAL).
5)UNICAL does not accept second-choice candidates
6) You must participate in the University of Calabar screening exercise for you to gain admission.
7) You must have a high UTME and screening score to beat UNICAL departmental cutoff mark for your chosen course.
8) You must be 16 years of age.
Admission Requirements For Direct Entry:
Approved University of Calabar admission requirements for Direct Entry (DE) students are listed below;
1) Before you are eligible for UNICAL direct entry admission this year, you need to have at least five (5) credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC, NECO, NABTEB) including English and mathematics not more than one (1) sitting.
2) The next requirement is the correct JAMB subject combination for your chosen course.
3) The next thing is to obtain a direct entry form from the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB)
4) Your first choice of institution must be UNICAL.
5) UNICAL does not accept second choice for direct entry admission
6) You must participate in the University of Calabar direct entry screening exercise in order for you to be admitted.
7) University of Calabar accepts (first-class degrees, second-class, and upper credit) but in related fields for direct entry admission.
8) In addition, depending on your chosen course, UNICAL accepts merit passes in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND), and other advanced level certificates.
9) UNICAL occasionally accepts JUPEB and IJMB A’level results but you must have high grades to qualify.
UNICAL School Fees
Below are the tabulated UNICAL school fees scheduled for the 2023/2024 academic session for all courses, for freshers and old students.
Just like most state and federal Universities, the University of Calabar, UNICAL school fees reduce as students go higher in levels. Students are therefore advised to read through to get all the vital information needed to pay their fees on time.
Late payment would attract extra charges of 5,000 Naira (an upward review from the previous 3,000 naira) and failure to pay the fees on time would lead to the students’ inability to sit for their semester examination.
1) Fresh Students:
Science students: N61,850
Non-science Students: N59,850
Medical Students: N63,850
Nursing students: N63,850
2) Returning Students:
Science Students: N46,350
Non-science Students: N44,350
Medical Students: N48,350
Nursing Students: 48,350
3) Final Year Students:
Science Students: N49,350
Non-science Students: N47,350
Medical Students: N51,350
Nursing Students: N51,350
Acceptance Fees for Fresh Students: N25,000
We hope that with the information above, you have equipped yourself with UNICAL courses, School Fees, and cutoff marks for 2023. We wish you the best as you make the best choice for your studies.